If you have been arrested for DWI anywhere in New York, the proceedings following your arrest can seem very confusing. You will be required to appear in court regarding your DWI charge, after which you will have a DMV hearing regarding your license. At Katz Lawyers, our New York DWI attorney is prepared to offer dedicated representation for both hearings.
Give us a call today at (212) 747-0606 to schedule your free consultation. We are available 24/7.
Drunk-driving offenses are the most common serious driving infractions in New York City.
Once criminal, administrative, and civil consequences, including possible alcohol rehab and years of drastically increased insurance premiums are calculated, the average cost of a DWI conviction tops $10,000.
In far too many cases, motorists fail to understand the years of consequences ahead of them, and simply plead guilty to the charges in an attempt to put it behind them. In fact, law enforcement counts on this, and as a result drunk driving charges are the leading driver of municipal court revenue nationwide.
Consulting with an experienced NYC DWI defense lawyer can actually be cheaper, and will almost certainly have a positive impact when it comes to reducing the array of consequences you will face for years to come if convicted of the charge.
Monetary Penalties for DWI in NYC
- Fines and court costs of $1,000 or more.
- Surcharge of up to $250.
- Driver responsibility assessment of $250 a year for three years.
- Payment for court ordered alcohol classes, assessments or rehab.
- Missed work for court, attendance at victim’s impact panel and possible alcohol assessment or rehab.
- Drastically increased insurance premiums, typically in the range of an additional $1,000-$2,000 a year or more.
- Job loss and/or the inability to obtain certain jobs or promotions, or work in certain professions.
Job-Related Penalties for DWI
- Demotion or inability to get promoted.
- Job loss
- Inability to pass background checks.
- Inability to obtain certain jobs.
- Inability to work in certain professions.
- Inability to obtain insurance to drive for work.
Other Penalties for DWI in NYC
- Possible 1 year in jail or more for repeat or future offenses.
- Suspension/revocation of driving rights.
- Probation period of 3 years or more, during which a violation can result in jail or other significant penalties. Common requirements include surprise drug/alcohol testing and prohibition against visiting bars or nightclubs.
- Mandatory attendance at victim’s impact panel.
- Possible court ordered alcohol assessment and/or rehab.
- Mandatory ignition interlock device.
DWI Defense in NYC
Once all of the consequences are considered, contacting an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer in New York City as soon as possible after arrest is the best course of action.
There are many defenses to these charges. In building your defense, your attorney will consider:
- Reason for the traffic stop.
- Training of officers.
- Results of field sobriety tests.
- Results of breathalyzer tests.
- Training of breathalyzer officer.
- Calibration and maintenance of breathalyzer machine.
- Videotape evidence of traffic stop and officer conduct.
- Defendant’s driving record.
Even in cases where a dismissal is not possible, your NYC DWI defense lawyer may successfully win an acquittal or obtain a reduction of the charges, which can significantly reduce the criminal, administrative and civil consequences of a drunk driving conviction.
Veteran drunk driving defense attorney Seth Katz represents clients throughout New York City, including Manhattan, Staten Island, The Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn.
For a free and confidential consultation with our NYC DWI defense lawyer call 212-747-0606. We are available whenever you need us.
To schedule a free consultation to discuss your DUI charges and license suspension, contact our office at (212) 747-0606 .